Monday, August 12, 2019

A new President

Speakeasy Toastmasters have elected a new President. Newmarket native, Theresa O'Reilly will serve in that prestigious role for the 2019 - 2020 Season. 
Sean Corcoran & Theresa O'Reilly 

Theresa joined the Bishopstown Toastmasters Club in 2012. "I wanted to learn the necessary skills to organise my thoughts and ideas into interesting speeches. I felt it would help me in my job if I could speak well at work. Toastmasters has given me the confidence to articulate my views in social situations and with work colleagues. I also find that Toastmasters' meetings can be very motivational as members speak about their experiences and interests.The home spun, hard - won wisdom of ordinary people can be so uplifting".

Theresa joined Speakeasy Toastmasters in 2015 and has been active in all facets of Club activities. She has presented a wide range of speeches covering a myriad of topics from Sporting prowess to the importance of sleep to Social Media Addiction. She has also served in positions of leadership within the club. Last year, Theresa served as the Club's Vice president of Education which involves the organising of the programme for each meeting. 

Theresa is looking forward to the year ahead and believes that Toastmasters is for everyone. "There is a common misconception that Toastmasters is for Solicitors, Auctioneers and Sales Reps. That is not true. Speakeasy members come from all walks of life and all age groups. Our members are farmers, teachers, nurses, Public Servants and retirees. We have members from all over North Cork, not just the Mallow area who bring their own points of view to our meetings "

Theresa also thinks that" people believe that Toastmasters is only for really good speakers. That's not true either. When I joined Toastmasters, I was quite anxious about speaking in front of an audience. However, I found that the supportive members helped me to relax and grow in confidence.Every time I spoke, I felt was improving. I have found the Toastmasters experience to be both positive and motivational".

Speakeasy Toastmasters are hosting their first meeting of the season on Thursday, 5th September in The Hibernian Hotel Mallow at 7.45 PM. Guests are always welcome at all meetings and are never obliged to speak, unless they wish to do so. 
For more information on Speakeasy, please check out our website speakeasytoastmasters.com or Facebook. Alternatively, you can contact President Theresa O'Reilly - 087 6699156.

No comments: