Sunday, January 06, 2013

From the Hi-B to the Indian Ocean

From the Hi-B to the Indian Ocean
Pat Duggan was President of Speakeasy Toastmasters 2003-2004. He has been actively involved in setting up another Toastmaster club since,-.Guardian Toastmasters in Cork City but still remains loyal to Speakeasy.

When I came to live in Mallow I had already been a member of Toastmasters for a couple of years so I intended to find the nearest club when I was settled in my new job and had somewhere to live. The research wasn’t difficult – I was walking past the Hibernian Hotel one day and spotted the Speakeasy Toastmasters plaque. Job done! I called into reception to get some details and the following Thursday night I went along to a meeting of Speakeasy Toastmasters.

On the night I received the warm welcome I had come to expect from Toastmasters. Nearly 14 years later I still attend regularly to meet old friends, make new ones and mostly to hear about all the wonderful things that Toastmasters get up to.
From second-hand cars that broke down regularly but “had a space for a radio” to how not to turn an oil tanker in the Indian Ocean to what can be kept in a biscuit tin to most recently, the rearing of free range organic geese. Where else would you get it?

Not only is Toastmasters very sociable and good fun it is a great place to learn – usually unbeknownst to yourself. After a year or two I was invited to join the committee and later had the honour of being club president. Along the way I learned how to take notes, plan a meeting, run a club, compose a speech, gather my thoughts and most importantly how to breathe when the nerves threaten to take over. All this learning happens because everyone has a different role and goal every year or at every meeting. This year’s president can be all about having fun at the meetings, next year’s may want to work on achieving club goals to gain recognition in the wider Toastmaster community. One member’s role might be to chair the meeting; another’s goal to deliver a speech without displaying their nervousness.

Speakeasy Toastmasters still meets every 2nd Thursday in the Hi-B, come along and check it out.
Speakeasy toastmasters next meets at 8pm Hibernian Mallow, Thursday Jan 10th..
Non members are most welcome and are never asked to speak.
Contact Jerry 0863752895,or Noel 0872427485.
"Follow us on Facebook "Speak Easy Toastmasters", on Twitter "@speakeasytm" and on our
blog "http://speakeasytm.blogspot.

www.speakeasytoastmasters.com