Thursday, September 16, 2010

Toastmasters assist people in developing life skills

Many people join toastmasters to develop public speaking skills. However they soon realise that they are also developing life skills to be a better friend, daughter/son, husband/wife, co-worker. I would like to share with you hereunder the experience of a member of Speak Easy Toastmasters Club since that person has become a Toastmaster.

‘Since joining Speak Easy Toastmasters Club I have developed in the flowing ways:

Speaking:
By giving prepared speeches and participating in Table Topics Session (this is where members learn to think and speak on their feet) , I have learned that telling stories from my own life experiences is one of the best ways to connect with an audience.

After I realised this, I started sharing stories with family and friends, about experiences that have shaped me. I tell them about my dreams-some became goals that I have achieved, some are still work in progress while others have been replaced by an obligation to focus on current needs. I talk about the lessons I am learning such as taking responsibility, not expecting life to be smooth and seeing challenges as opportunities.

Listening:
By being an evaluator of other fellow toastmasters’ speeches and by participating in Table Topics I have become a better listener. Since I started sharing about my stories, family and friends have opened up about events in their lives. I listen intently to them.

Evaluating:
When I evaluate speeches in Toastmasters my goal is to try to help a fellow toastmaster improve. I present my evaluation in a positive way because I want the speaker to be receptive. I do not hurl insults. Since joining toastmasters, if asked for feedback by family and friends, I give it in a positive way.

Leading:
Additionally my toastmaster training helps me to improve in unexpected ways. For example when I encourage people to come to a meeting, I am doing it for the club. I soon realised I am also benefiting personally by developing skills to influence people.

By continuing to be a member of Speak Easy Toastmasters I am benefiting personally by developing life skills. So why not come along and take your first step in your own personal growth.’

Speak Easy Toastmasters will hold their next meeting at the Hibernian Hotel, Mallow, September 16th at 7:50PM. Non-members are more than welcome to attend and will not be asked to speak. Further details about the Club are available on our website, www.speakeasytoastmasters.com

No comments: